I was fortunate enough to discover that the Seattle Opera offers season tickets at a steep discount for students this year. Today I went to the first opera of the season The End of the Affair. It is a modern opera and quite good, actually. I am always a bit skeptical of modern operas. I saw a couple of whoppers in Berlin. Das Verratene Meer left a vivid memory of mishap and embarrassment for all involved. But this one was good. As the overture began, I knew it would be ok, if not good. The music was warm and melodic. It didn't have the dissonance often present in modern pieces. The ending seemed to be a bit of a ripoff from La Boheme, but I'll forgive that. The season has great promise and I'm looking forward to the occasional jaunt to the opera this year. It is something that I love a great deal and will look forward to in the months to come.

1 comment:
You'll have to check out Wagner if you want Viking hats and horns and that sort of thing. I saw my first opera in Spokane at the opera house. Funny that they only have about two operas a year at the opera house, though! If they still have student rush tickets, it is worth it to go sometime. Glad you liked what you saw. There is much to love about it.
Post a Comment