Tuesday, October 25, 2005

cats

Lately I have had several cat losses in my life. Emily and Marty lost Ed rather unexpectedly. He was getting on in years and had health problems, but I don't know that any of us knew it had come to that until it happened. The other day I went to visit a neighbor and discovered that Oreo's tumor had grown back and it had taken over his tiny body and it was time to go. He was just nine, so that was an especially difficult blow. Another neighbor's Sebastian has been quite ill for over a month and the docs can't quite pinpoint what is going on. I'm not sure what is going on in the cat world, but it makes me appreciate my sweet Isabelle all the more. She's just nine and a half herself and luckily has never had so much as a cold. I look at her, curled up amongst the folds in my quilt and think how lucky I am that this sweet creature has embraced a life with me. It's not like she could go anywhere, but she certainly could choose to sleep elsewhere or to remain aloof, as many cats do. Instead, she is glued to me (rarely on my lap, but never far from my side). She knows my moods, often before I do and responds with affection, distraction or just plain old companionship. It may sound silly, but it is one of the rarest forms of unconditional love on earth. Animals are just like that, though. I have always known that. The picture is of Michael and me at about nine years old. He was a sweet Siamese cat that we had. Loud, but sweet. I'll try to get a picture of Isabelle up here soon, too. My little black snuggly beautiful kitty cat. What a sap, but I can't help it! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww what a sweet kitty!

Anonymous said...

I can SO relate to your thoughts! I so miss Chanel even though she was very aloof. I will never quite get over the day I had to let her go. And now? I have this silly little Maltese driving me nuts!