Monday, October 17, 2005

my name is pseyler

This evening I visited a local AA meeting as a requirement for a class on drug and alcohol abuse. I was a bit nervous about going, even though I had at my side my friend Jen and her mom, a drug and alcohol intervention specialist. I can only imagine how frightening it would be to go to a meeting for the first time alone, as an alcoholic in recovery.

What struck me was how little the sharing revolved around alcohol. It was about finding balance in work, health, home, family, finances, coffee...and yes, a few people talked about their relapses and struggle to stay sober. But paramount was their desire to live a life that is fruitful and interesting. They are a humble group of people. They look down on no one. The judgment I felt when I went in the room was diminished within minutes. There was nothing to judge. I was amongst my peers. The only difference was that they have a name for their demon and they are willing to look at it in front of a room of people. We all have them, our demons, and I am not ready to present mine to a group of people. I felt honored to be among such a brave and honest group of people. Blessings on them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And blessings on you for being so understanding. What a great world this would be if we could all achieve that.