NPR has a Monday morning clip called "This I Believe." It is a chance for people to share an essay about what they feel strongly about and to share their strongest convictions. This I believe, in brief.
I believe that we are destroying our environment bit by bit. The earth is hardly recognizable--covered by concrete, buildings, powerlines, neon signs. We fill our lives with jobs and shopping and cleaning and running around in our cars. I believe that we would be better to slow down, to live simply, to let go of our conventions.
I believe that we need to turn our energies and resources toward art, poetry, spiritual practice, our dreams, sport (moving, not watching the NBA), play, listening, talking, work in which we can take pride and pleasure. We are starving for these things in our lives, whether we know it or not. We walk around in a gloomy haze, confused when our shiny new cars and high-powered jobs don't provide contentment.
I believe in the power of the written and spoken word. Words can heal and destroy. Words can build bridges, soothe, comfort, demonstrate love, heal broken hearts, feed minds, bring smiles. Speak the truth. Speak your truth. Listen to what is around you. It is all right there, everything you need to know.
I believe that it is not only our pleasure but our responsibility to look out for one another. If you have two bars of soap, give one away. We hoard and hoard, afraid we won't have as much as we want or as someone else. We rarely base "what is enough" on what we need. We need to feed our hungry, guide our lost, tend our environment, care for our children, love our animals. And I do not mean just those we know or those who ask for our help.
I believe that if we have hope, we have life.
What do you believe?
Monday, September 26, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Have you read Carl Honore's book In Praise of Slowness : How A Worldwide Movement Is Challenging the Cult of Speed?
Other than his incessant need to point out that "this is not a new-agey book" (which of course means that it is), it's pretty good. It describes a lifestyle I aspire to, even if I'm doing little, if any, work to get there. I'm too busy being confused about why my job doesn't satisfy me.
I will check it out...it looks like a good read. Aspiring is indeed the journey of doing, so you're in the game as far as I'm concerned! Hey, and you ride your bike and walk places, which I think is a hats-off move all on its own.
Post a Comment