Wednesday, September 21, 2005

the big (not so) easy

We seem to be on the path of yet another hurricane and I'd like to rename it Hurricane Insult to Injury. The people of NOLA must be thinking 'so what' at this point. Do you get more FEMA money if you get hit by two hurricanes within the span of a month? I gave up my television two years ago and do not miss it, especially when I hear about the horrific images people are faced with in the news media. The ones inside my head based on the descriptions on NPR are bad enough. I don't need further visuals. I was touched by a story about the employees of a prominent museum in NOLA who refused to leave the museum even in the face of the National Guard staring them down. They were fearful that looters would ravage their sacred art collection and I was terribly proud of them. I was equally touched by a woman who had been writing poetry over twenty years and lost it all in the hurricane. She had one poem published in 1980 and she was excited to think she might be able to get a copy of it from the publisher. She wrote scores of poems and was thrilled to think that one survived.

So, now we are on to Hurricane Rita, which I might call Hurricane Chocolate Pudding. My friend Lexi who lives in Houston shared an account of her trip to Target yesterday to stock up on staples before the rains started to pound. Too bad she wasn't looking for the kind of staples you put in a stapler--she would have had better luck. She bought the only two food items she could find: clam chowder and chocolate pudding. She's thinking her husband can eat the chowder and she can eat the pudding. How long can a person live on pudding? Would scurvy set in? I hope Lexi doesn't have to find out. Hey Lex, at least take a multivitamin, will ya?

1 comment:

april said...

dude, here's what a freak i am - i was picking up lunch to go yesterday and read an la times article about a hospital in NO (this has probably been on the news and i missed it)...the hospital admin company refused to let the employees evacuate (with the patients) while there was time, then when it was too late to leave, told the workers they would be fired if they left their patients...left them stranded for four days with no water or power (4 patients died), and now have laid them all off with 2 weeks pay. i cried. people thot i was weird. they're right. but united health services can bite it.