Wednesday, September 14, 2005

escape the city



Once a week on Wednesdays I drive a total of five to six hours to get to and from my internship site in Port Townsend. I drive, take a ferry, then drive some more. It is the only substantial driving I do every week, so I guess it is a way to see the inside of my car every now and now. Why Port Townsend? I used to go there for vacation--long weekends when I needed to get away from the city. My perspective has changed on it being a vacation spot now that it is within commuting distance. Though, a man with a gun and a drug-sniffing dog just walked by my car, so that also lends a new perspective to the whole adventure.

Port Townsend is a lovely city and if you haven't been there, you should visit it at some point. And, it has the only Jungian-oriented psychotherapy center dedicated to children in the Pacific Northwest. I do sandtray work, art, and play therapy with kids. Sandtray is a form of therapy using a small sandbox and small figures and toys (my favorite being the white tiger babies) to tell a story. Straight into the unconscious. It is worth the drive.

The ferry terminals often have wireless access, so that is a plus. And the ferry has arrived and so I am off to work with my kids.

No comments: