
Today is the first day this week I remember waking to something other than the sound of John Roberts being grilled. There is little I dislike more than confirmation hearings. "Judge Roberts, do you remember this memo that you wrote in 1932 about sharing the office refrigerator?" "Judge Roberts, do you recall saying hi to a guy in a black suit in 1917?" Ok, it isn't that bad, but it always strikes me as a weird way to interview someone. They know what they are going to hear from him and he knows what he is going to be asked. It seems like this big adversarial game. Some of the questions were so ridiculous and obscure, which means to me that they couldn't find enough dirt on him to fill up the time. He had this clever way of dodging questions by saying that he may need to decide on that issue as chief justice some day, so he didn't feel he could answer the question at this point. I like that one and might try it myself. "I'm sorry...I can't answer that question because I might have to answer it later and don't want to be held accountable for what I might say now." Perhaps I should work on the wording. My thoughts on Roberts? He says "um" a lot, but doesn't say "like" and "you know," so he has that going for him.

No comments:
Post a Comment