Sunday, September 25, 2005

shhhhhh!

Yesterday I was having a hard time keeping myself focused on school reading. I kept getting up to start a load of laundry, clean my desk, water plants--all worthy things to do. However, I needed to read for a good stretch, since I return to school on Thursday. So, I decided to go out for the errands I had to do yesterday and end my trip at the Ballard Library. There I would be free of temptation. I walked the whole building before settling down in the sci-fi and large print books section. I realized that the library was NOT distraction-free. Let's see--I am surrounded by books and computers. These are two of my biggest distractions at home. Nevertheless, I managed to keep my butt in the chair for a couple of hours, which was long enough to finish "Where to Start and What to Ask." Fortunately I had a pair of earplugs with me, because the library is not a quiet place. There are kids giggling all over the place and when they giggle, I have to look. How could I not? And the woman sitting at the table nearest my chair was sewing her bag and singing with her headphones on. She also kept readjusting her empty Pepsi bottle. I think she spends A LOT of time there.

If you haven't been to the Ballard Library, it is worth a trip. It is a small, neighborhood library with a great environmental design. The roof is planted with plants that live off of rainwater and there is a periscope to use to look at the roof from the main floor. The natural lighting dominates and natural wood is primary inside and out. Just bring your earplugs if you plan to do any reading there.

No comments: