Monday, September 19, 2005

peanuts and crackerjack

The house was darling, but far too small. I had almost convinced myself that I could make it work until I came home and looked around at my stuff. My books alone would take up all of the room. I felt like such a girl when I said, where are the closets? Where does one put her clothes? I did get to bounce on the trampoline and met some very nice people, but will have to call them today to let them know that I just can't squeeze myself into the space. The cost savings just isn't worth the sacrifice of space. I might keep looking a bit, but don't have time to do much on that front.

It would be great to get out from under the iron rule of my current landlord, however. This is a guy who will actually follow me through the building to say weird things to me, hollers at everyone at Christmas (he hates the needles trees drop on their way in and out), way over sprays air "freshener" that I'm willing to bet is called Tropical Breeze, and just raised my rent a substantial amount. Then there are the letters he posts everywhere...I can't possibly give a just description of them here. I'll post the next one I get. They come almost weekly and usually say something like, "Effectively immediately, if I find one more pizza box in the recycling, I will evict you. I am not kidding. This has gone on long enough. I will find out who you are and give you an eviction notice. Thank you." I am NOT exaggerating for dramatic affect. Actually, you need to add a dozen more grammatical errors to make it accurate. On the positive side, I take the stairs consistently in order to avoid him, as does the rest of the building so it makes for a good workout. The poor couple with the toddler. If she has a cracker in her hand, he probably hollers at her about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a DARLING little cottage! Bet I could fit in there. I'd love to have a nice little place like that. Miss my alone time. Hang in there. You'll find something. And tell the creepy landlord if he doesn't knock off the weird s---, he'll have to deal with your aunt and she's not nice when she's angry.
I love you.

Jeanie