Monday, January 30, 2006

spiritus mundi

Time for a new blog title. "a blog of my very own" was really a reaction to April's lack of posts. Who needs your blog...I have a blog of my very own. Now she's blogging again; this suits me better, too. In context:

The Second Coming
William Butler Yeats

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

5 comments:

Uneasy Rhetoric said...

Hardly a day goes by when I don't say something is "turning in the widening gyre."

Add "Read more Yeats" to the list of things I need to do this year.

I've updated my blogroll with the new and imporved name.

Jennifer said...

Indeed...

I actually thought of the status I would lose on your blogroll when comtemplating the name change, but decided it was worth the sacrifice. :)

Anonymous said...

Thats a great poem, very inspiring. I like the new title of the blog...a fresh start/fresh name is always nice!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, honey, but you are to remain "a blog of my very own" in my bookmarks!

april said...

bastard. i wrote a monster paper on this thing in lit. cliche?

"moving its slow thighs" is so brilliant, it's terrifying.

i'm so glad someone knows their shit...thank god for you.