
Every year during May I drive to Spokane to run Bloomsday. It's a 12K race that obliterates my knee for a few weeks. But that's not important just now. One year while driving back home with an ice pack on my knee, I saw a snowy owl sitting on the side of the road. It was enjoying the shade of a guard rail on an overpass. I have never forgotten that owl. It was a moment full of mystery and magic. I was surprised to see that owl, though later discovered that it is not uncommon for the snowy owl to fly through Washington on its migratory route. I love owls. And ever since seeing that little owl on interstate 90, I love them even more. I discovered the other day that Seattle has an Owl Walk and you know I am going to have to go on it. I have no idea what kind of people one encounters on an owl walk, but I'm bound to find out. I am sure it will be pouring rain and my flashlight batteries will probably fail. If I see an owl, however, it will be worthwhile.

3 comments:
Owls are truly magestic creatures.
You're so lucky you got to see one!
Hope the run went well!
Oh -I know how you feel. 24 days!!? Wow. Hang in there. I am doing ok with the lack of sun also... but I do also miss it a great deal. It is cloudy again today - raining this morning. : ) Hope you have a good day.
Beautiful owls.
I know this might be terrible but - first thing I thought of was - my grandfather had a stuffed owl just like that. It was beautiful but it kind of creeped me out as a child.
They are better viewed in their natural state. ; )
Those are beautiful owls. I've never seen a snow owl in real life. That would be fantastic! Once just outside of Honeydew, CA I saw a spotted owl. It was just sitting by the roadside. I stopped and got my camera and followed it into the forrest and got a couple of good pictures. But, alas, no scanner to show it to you :-(
Post a Comment