Saturday, December 16, 2006

windstorm 2006

The local media outlets love to nickname our weather disasters. Snow Storm 2004. Ice Storm 2000. Typically the "storm" comes through with a sputter and the universal response is, "That's IT?!" This time was different. This was for real. Many of my friends and colleagues are without power and have been for a couple of days. They may be without power for up to a week. Trees are sitting in people's living rooms, and I don't mean the Christmas kind. Cars and houses are underwater; streets are flooded; Four people were sadly killed by weather-related accidents. I fared just fine. My lights flickered but I never lost power and my neighborhood had only a few downed trees. But my friend Lexi, who weathered the Houston hurricane last year reminded me to stock up on chocolate pudding and clam chowder, just in case, so I was well prepared.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a relief!!! Thanks for letting us know.

Anonymous said...

good to have you back in blogger-land and glad to hear you weathered the storm...I also fared fine.

Heidi VP

Anonymous said...

S0, so glad you are OK. We were concerned. As I now have to borrow a computer to catch up with you I heard first by word of mouth and was greatly relieved. By the way, it's 8:40 p.m. and 37 degrees.