I have been riding my bike to work the last couple of weeks. It's been great and I am seeing and experiencing things I would never notice from a car or bus. Among them:
1. A woman smoking a cigarette with a cigarette holder. It must have been a 120 cigarette, too. She was barely inhaling at all. I think she just liked having something to wave about.
2. A man with a shopping cart, out of which he seemed to be living, eyeing a statue of Jesus. He was rearranging his belongings in the cart in what seemed to be an effort to make room for Jesus.
3. Lots of pennies.
4. Odd trash: the sole of a tennis shoe, a pair of Carharts covered in duct tape, various car parts.
5. The driver of a Shell Oil tanker honking and giving me the thumbs-up, apparently in approval of my alternative transportation choice.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
On #3 in which you say you saw a lot of pennies... I have a friend who (if she drops pennies) refuses to pick them up unless they land heads up...some of those are probably hers.
Kudos for riding the bike!
i'll have to start looking for tails pennies...they'll remind me of you now!
"making room for jesus" just sent me over the edge.
you f'ing writer. knock it off.
You go girl!!! Love this post.
My husband is an avid biker... a bicycle dude. He rides to and from work every day... about a 14 mile ride! Keep on bikin! :))) ...always wear a helmet. (just a friendly reminder)
Post a Comment