Monday, March 06, 2006

everyone needs a goal

I grew up with an unfounded prejudice against Texas. I have no idea why, but I knew that We were supposed to hate Texas. My favorite football team was "whoever is playing Dallas." This little grudge started long before the Bushes were in the collective crosshairs. My lifelong goal was never to step foot in Texas. I am not sure why, but I was committed to this little goal. About five years ago, I switched airplanes in Dallas on the way to New Orleans. I decided that it didn't ruin my streak because a) it was against my will and, b) I didn't leave the airport.

On Wednesday I shall head to Texas for work. I have presentations to give on Thursday and Friday in Arlington (just outside of Dallas). So, still involuntary. However, on Friday evening I am off to Houston with a colleague/friend, who is taking me to the rodeo on Saturday. I shall be in Texas, by my own free will, at a rodeo. So, my streak is over; my goal, unrealized.

I am not sure what to set my sights on next. Perhaps it will be to choose to go somewhere amazing to balance out things. But where could I possibly go that will balance out a trip to Texas? Hee haw.

3 comments:

april said...

HUNTINGTON BEACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You're TOO funny!

I liked changing planes in Dallas...we taxied over a freeway and waved to everyone driving below us...and they waved back!

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Texas! haha...
kudos to you for being so brave!