Tuesday, August 12, 2008

collective unconscious

I have worked in downtown Seattle for 13 and a half years straight. There is a small teriyaki hole-in-the-wall "restaurant" that has been there from the start. My colleagues back then referred to it as "scary teriyaki" or "scaryaki." I never ate there. Why would I eat somewhere that is outright known to be scary? But today I stopped in on a whim and ordered the chicken special. It was very tasty and was $5.50, including tax. This evening I decided to find out whether they were the only ones who thought it was scary. Not at all. A Google search yielded no less than a dozen hits that referred to this very place as "scary teriyaki" or "scary teri." I have to admit that it really was pretty scary in there. But I'll go back anyway.

2 comments:

april said...

eh. wm employees are way too conservative. i love hole in the wall restaurants.

Jennifer said...

this was actually a group of folks I worked with at a staffing company back in the 90s! I'll take you there. It's pretty scary. I tried to get the proprietor to crack but she just glared with beady eyes.