Wednesday, October 25, 2006

worlds collide

The last two days were spent at a conference on preventing fraud. It was related to work, of course. I learned a lot about kiting, bust outs, title flipping, quit claims, and other types of fraud. Did you know that the Latvians are the perpetrators of a lot of the bank fraud? That you can buy account numbers and other personal information on chat boards on the Internet? I'll post later about how you can protect yourself from the fraudsters. There are some simple steps you can take to protect your assets.

At lunch today I joined an eclectic group of people, some of whom were attending the fraud conference and others who were in town for a training seminar. A colleague asked about my master's work and my thesis. Another woman sitting nearby joined the conversation and so I found myself explaining infant attachment to a fraud specialist and the woman in charge of training for the retail organization. The woman got teary-eyed when I described the various ways in which a child can suffer from trauma, abuse, and neglect. It was a very strange moment, seeing this woman tearing up in our corporate leadership center dining room. I'm not quite sure how to bring these two worlds together. They are both important parts of my life, but they certainly are miles apart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But what you are sharing about childhood attatchment is more universally relevent than fraud protection - we dont tear up thinking about our inner bank accounts unless we call them love accounts and we can prosecute abusive parents for fraud! Hey, I just related your two worlds!